Movies that Inspires my 4th grader
I've always tried to pick and choose what movies we would watch on our family movie night.
Part of the reason is that my daughter gets very emotional whenever she watches a movie. Most of the time she would run to her room when it gets intense because she couldn't take it. Whenever there's a sad part, she would cry and sob as if her favorite pet just died. I'm not even kidding or exaggerating.
So...I have to carefully pick and choose.
My goal was to find movies that would ignite her passion and show her what successful people to in order to achieve their dreams.
Here are some of the movies that we watched and I personally think did the job ;) Note: I always watch it once before I OK'ed for our family movie night.
1. Eddie the Eagle (2016)
- Synopsis: The story of Eddie Edwards, the notoriously tenacious British underdog ski jumper who charmed the world at the 1988 Winter Olympics.
- Is it child appropriate? I would say borderline. However, the overall lesson that a child can learn from the movie overthrown my concern about the few 'adult content' within. (I did skip a few when my daughter watches it)
- Lesson: I think it is obvious that Eddie Edwards is the classic example of believing in what you want and go for it 200%.
- What I point out to my daughter: Eddie wanted it so badly and he did all he can despite what other people thought about him. Always know what you want and once you do that, GO FOR IT.
2. Leap! (2016)
- Synopsis: An orphan girl dreams of becoming a ballerina and flees her rural Brittany for Paris, where she passes for someone else and accedes to the position of pupil at the Grand Opera house.
- Is it Kid Friendly? Yes. Definitely.
- Lesson: You may not succeed the first time but if you persist, kept on practicing, you will get there in the end.
- What I tell my daughter: Everything starts with a belief. But only belief is not enough, you need to put in the effort and work for it. ANYONE can make it IF they have the passion, they believe, and they work hard AND smart for it. Everything will fall into its place when the time is right.
3. Finding Dory (2016)
- Sypnosis: The friendly but forgetful blue tang fish, Dory, begins a search for her long-lost parents, and everyone learns a few things about the real meaning of family along the way.
- Is it kid friendly? YUP! Absolutely.
- Lesson: This blog sums up all of it perfectly. check it out - 10 Life Lessons You and Your Kids Can Learn from the Movie Finding Dory.
- What I tell my daughter: This might be a little different from the 10 life lesson above but what I told my daughter after the movie was - parents will always believe in you and will wait for you to come back to us no matter how long it takes. Kids grow up and there will be times when they would want to roam and explore but parents will always be waiting for you to come home.
I think that's probably the only few movies we've managed to watch this summer -__-"
As you can see I'm not quite up to date with the latest movies. Let me know if there's any other movie that I could add to my family movie night list.